Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Explanation

On February 20th, 2010, I thought it would be fun to write a flash story for each of my friends on Facebook. I had 103 friends at the time, so I decided to limit each story to 103 words or less. Twelve stories later, I realized this wasn't going to be as easy I imagined. A little over six weeks after starting this, tonight actually, I wrote the last one.

And that's all she wrote.

Well, not quite. I followed one rule in particular. I decided to post each story to my friend's profiles as Facebook listed them, in first name starting alphabetical order. I also wrote the stories before looking who was next on the list to let as little I knew about that person influence the story I was sending to them.
I lost a couple friends during this time, and since I wasn't adding any new friends until I finished, I simply replaced lost friends with whoever had requested my friendship next. I also lost one friend who I had already wrote a story for and didn't want to lose the story I had written so I gave it to the next person in line. This caused a kink in the whole alphabetical order thing but so be it. Nobody's perfect.

I took a little liberty on the 103 words or less rule in that I considered any hyphenated word as one word. Some of these stories were edited for punctuation and other things and may not appear the same as they do on Facebook. Don't like it? Talk to my lawyer. (Meow!)

For better or worse, I present to you the results of my writing experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment